Proudly perched on its rocky promontory on the banks of the river Meuse, the Castle of Sedan and six centuries of history look down upon us.
In 1424, after buying the lordship of Sedan from his brother-in-law Guillaume de Braquemont, Evrard III de La Marck began to build a first castle, including a priory.
This triangular castle, known as the primitive castle, was greatly enlarged and strengthened by Evrard’s descendants. The gradual arrival of artillery forced him to adapt to this formidable weapon.
King Henri II of France recognised Sedan as a sovereignty (the Sovereignty of Sedan) and it now comprises 21 villages.
Strategically located between the Kingdom of France and the Holy Roman Empire, the city remained a principality for a century.
After a failed conspiracy against Richelieu, Frédéric Maurice de la Tour d’Auvergne, the last Prince of Sedan, was imprisoned. To save his own neck, he donated the principality to King Louis XIII, thereby attaching it to France. From then on, the French army occupied the Castle for 320 years.
The city bought it for the symbolic price of one French franc.
The Castle is listed as a historical monument. Eight princes and a princess made the Castle the Giant of Sedan: the largest fortified Castle in Europe with a surface area of 35.000 sq. m.